Thursday, January 6, 2011

Get Up Again

Ok I think everyone knows that I have a HUGE heart for those with disabilities.  I love being able to make a difference in the life of even one person, whether it is helping them with activities of daily living, or helping someone with a mental disability integrate into their community.  I love this little world, and I am so grateful to be a part of it.  Helping someone with a physical handicap is very rewarding, knowing that another human being trusts you to take care of them and help them keep their life going.  Helping someone with a mental handicap is just as rewarding, sometimes frustrating, always worthwhile.  The developmentally disabled population is one of the most open, happy, unprejudiced communities I have ever been privileged to know.  These people are looked down on or pitied by society, when really they are the lucky ones so much of the time.  Many of them are so happy and innocent and such a joy to be around.

Today's good news is dedicated to anyone with a disability, and all the able minded and bodied who are lucky enough to be a part of their lives.

I mean, seriously....this guy SWIMS!!  If I saw him jump off the side of the pool like that I would be like "OMG!!!!!   SAVE HIM NOW!!!!!"  *dive*

There is no rule book that says you can't live a happy and fulfilling life with a disability.  It makes me think of one of my favorite songs by Flaw:

Reach out your hands
Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough
Until the end. 
These are the ones who, help when the times get tough
And times will get tough. 
Get up again.
Times will get tough. 
Get up again...





1 comment:

  1. He is possibly the most inspirational guy making the rounds these days. He's got such a great sense of humour, and has such positive things to say about his "disability".

    Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete